- Tabl.Encycl. 1:146 (1791)
- Conservation Code
- Not threatened
- Naturalised Status
- Alien to Western Australia
- Name Status
Robust, tufted perennial, grass-like or herb (sedge), ca 1.4 m high. Fl. green, Oct to Dec or Jan or Jun to Jul. Irrigated pastures, swamps.
- IBRA Regions
- Avon Wheatbelt, Esperance Plains, Jarrah Forest, Swan Coastal Plain, Warren.
- IBRA Subregions
- Fitzgerald, Katanning, Northern Jarrah Forest, Perth, Southern Jarrah Forest, Warren.
- Local Government Areas (LGAs)
- Augusta Margaret River, Busselton, Capel, Dardanup, Gosnells, Harvey, Jerramungup, Kalamunda, Melville, Northam, Stirling, Waroona.
Management Notes (for the Swan NRM Region)
Alternative Names. Tall Flatsedge, Golden Nutsedge, Nutgrass, Earth Almond, Pale Galingale, Drain Flat Sedge.
General Biology. Growth form. Sedge. Life form. Perennial. Reproduction. Primarily seed, also rhizomes. Dispersal. Soil, water, occasionally animals (by adhesion).
Notes. Weed of irrigated crops, gardens, lawns and disturbed wetlands. Can obstruct irrigation channels and drains. Small seed is mainly spread by water, and may also be transported by animals. Hardy once established.
Additional information. Origin. South America.
Suggested method of management and control. Hand remove small/isolated infestations ensuring removal of all rhizomes. Otherwise try 1% glyphosate + Pulse®. Read the manufacturers' labels and material safety data sheets before using herbicides. For further information consult the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority to determine the status of permits for your situation or state.
Legend: Y = Yes, regularly, O = Occasionally, U = Uncertain, referred by others but not confirmed.
- Brown, K. & Brooks, K. (2002) Bushland Weeds: A Practical Guide to their Management. Environmental Weeds Action Network, Greenwood.
- Hussey, B.M.J., Keighery, G.J., Dodd, J., Lloyd, S.G. & Cousens, R.D. (2007) Western Weeds. A guide to the weeds of Western Australia. 2nd Edition. The Plant Protection Society of Western Australia, Victoria Park.
- Manningham City Council (2006) Weed Identification Booklet. Manningham City Council, Doncaster, Victoria. URL: http://www.manningham.vic.gov.au/maccwr/_assets/main/lib90021/02%20-%20pdf%20files/weed%20id%20booklet.pdf.
- Moore, C.B. & Moore, J.H. (2002) Herbiguide, the pesticide expert on a disk. Herbiguide, PO Box 44 Albany, Western Australia, 6330.
- Nazer, C., Bodulovic, Z. & Somervaille, A. (1999) Evaluation of alternative methods of weed control in municipal areas. In 12th Australian Weeds Conference - weed management into the 21st Century: do we know where we're going? Eds, A.C Bishop, M. Boersma, and C.D. Barnes. Tasmanian Weed Society Inc.