Eucalyptus botryoides Sm.
Trans.Linn.Soc.London,Bot. 3:286 (1797)
Monday 13 September 1999
Tree, to 25(-40) m high, bark fibrous or flaky-fibrous. Growing around the edges of winter-wet swamps.
Beard’s Provinces: South-West Province.
IBRA Regions: Swan Coastal Plain.
IBRA Subregions: Perth.
Local Government Areas (LGAs): Waroona.
Management Notes (for the Swan NRM Region)
Kate Brown and Karen Bettink,
Thursday 24 July 2014
General Biology. Growth form. Tree. Reproduction. Seed. Dispersal. Wind. Vegetative regeneration strategy. Resprouts from lignotuber and epicormic buds. Woody structure. diffuse porous. Seedbank persistence. Short, days-1 year. Fire response. Will resprout from epicormic buds and lignotuber following fire. Prolific germination of seed will also follow fire.
Additional information. Origin. South eastern Australia. History of use/introduction. Garden escape, restoration plantings.
Suggested method of management and control. Hand pull or dig out seedlings ensuring removal of all roots. Try cut and paint or inject root crown using 50% glyphosate. Foliar spray regrowth with 1.5% glyphosate. Read the manufacturers' labels and material safety data sheets before using herbicides. For further information consult the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority to determine the status of permits for your situation or state.
Legend: Y = Yes, regularly, O = Occasionally, U = Uncertain, referred by others but not confirmed.
- Benson, D. & McDougall, L. (1998) Ecology of Sydney plant species, Part 6 Dicotyledon: family Myrtaceae. Cunninghamia, 5 (4): 871.
- Brooker, M.I.H., Slee, A.V., Connors, J.R. & Duffy, S.M. (2002) EUCLID Second Edition. Eucalypts of Southern Australia. CSIRO, Collingwood.
- Brown, K. & Brooks, K. (2002) Bushland Weeds: A Practical Guide to their Management. Environmental Weeds Action Network, Greenwood.
- Hussey, B.M.J., Keighery, G.J., Dodd, J., Lloyd, S.G. & Cousens, R.D. (2007) Western Weeds. A guide to the weeds of Western Australia. 2nd Edition. The Plant Protection Society of Western Australia, Victoria Park.
- Muyt, A. (2001) Bush invaders of South-East Australia: A guide to the identification and control of environmental weeds found in South-East Australia. R.G. & F.J. Richardson, Melbourne.
- Navie, S. & Adkins, S. (2008) Environmental Weeds of Australia, An interactive identification and information resource for over 1000 invasive plants. Centre for Biological Information Technology, The University of Queensland.
- Radho-Toly, S., Majer, J.D. & Yates, C. (2001) Impact of fire on leaf nutrients, arthropod fauna and herbivory of native and exotic eucalypts in Kings Park, Perth, Western Australia. Austral Ecology, 26 (5): 500-506.