Senecio angulatus L.f.
Suppl.Pl. 369 (1782)
Wednesday 6 October 2004
Twining, succulent perennial, herb or climber, to 6 m high. Fl. yellow, Apr to May. Black calcareous sand, grey sand to sandy clay, limestone. Cliff faces, flats, interdunal depressions, near swamps.
Beard’s Provinces: South-West Province.
IBRA Regions: Esperance Plains, Swan Coastal Plain, Warren.
IBRA Subregions: Fitzgerald, Perth, Warren.
IMCRA Regions: Central West Coast.
Local Government Areas (LGAs): Busselton, Cottesloe, Denmark, Jerramungup, Nedlands, Ravensthorpe.
Management Notes (for the Swan NRM Region)
Kate Brown and Karen Bettink,
Monday 23 May 2011
General Biology. Growth form. Vine. Reproduction. Suckers, seeds, stem layering. Dispersal. Wind, water, garden waste, animals. Time to first flowering. 1 year. Vegetative regeneration strategy. suckers.
Notes. Completely smothers ground-flora vegetation and smaller shrubs. Small fragments of stems can root. Intolerant to shade.
Additional information. Origin. South Africa. History of use/introduction. Garden escape. Similar exotic species. Delairea odorata, Senecio tamoides, Senecio macroglossus.
Suggested method of management and control. Try 1% glyphosate or Lontrel® 20 ml/10 L + wetting agent. Read the manufacturers' labels and material safety data sheets before using herbicides. For further information consult the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority to determine the status of permits for your situation or state.
Legend: Y = Yes, regularly, O = Occasionally, U = Uncertain, referred by others but not confirmed.
- Brown, K. & Brooks, K. (2002) Bushland Weeds: A Practical Guide to their Management. Environmental Weeds Action Network, Greenwood.
- Hussey, B.M.J., Keighery, G.J., Dodd, J., Lloyd, S.G. & Cousens, R.D. (2007) Western Weeds. A guide to the weeds of Western Australia. 2nd Edition. The Plant Protection Society of Western Australia, Victoria Park.
- Moore, C.B. & Moore, J.H. (2002) Herbiguide, the pesticide expert on a disk. Herbiguide, PO Box 44 Albany, Western Australia, 6330.
- Muyt, A. (2001) Bush invaders of South-East Australia: A guide to the identification and control of environmental weeds found in South-East Australia. R.G. & F.J. Richardson, Melbourne.
- Navie, S. & Adkins, S. (2008) Environmental Weeds of Australia, An interactive identification and information resource for over 1000 invasive plants. Centre for Biological Information Technology, The University of Queensland.
- Paczkowska, G. & Chapman, A.R. (2000) The Western Australian flora: A descriptive catalogue. Western Australian Wildflower Society (Inc.), Western Australian Herbarium and Botanic Gardens and Parks Authority, Perth.
- Wells, M.J., Balsinhas, A.A., Joffe, H., Engelbrecht, V.M., Harding, G. & Stirton, C.H. (1986) A catalogue of problem plants in southern Africa. Memoirs of the Botanical Survey of South Africa, No. 53.
- Williams, P.A. & Hayes, L (2007) Emerging weed issues for the West Coast Regional Council and their prospects for biocontrol. Landcare Research Contract Report: LC0607/109 Prepared for West Coast Regional Council. Landcare Research New Zealand Ltd http://www.envirolink.govt.nz/reports/documents/80-WCRC10.pdf.